[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Something bothering me about this whole trilogy
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Something bothering me about this whole trilogy 
Post Something bothering me about this whole trilogy
Greetings, I haven't posted in a purely conversational manner in a while.

Anyway, I couldn't put my finger on it until now, but something's really been bothering me about this whole trilogy.

It has to do with the way relationships are solved. A lot of times, there are problems, correct? A robot impersonates Tact and peeps on Ranpha in the shower, Mint jumps to conclusions about Chitose hugging Tact, and so on and so forth.

Well, as you may know, every time this happens, Tact admits it's his fault, and then works his ass off to try to fix the problem.

This is an admirable character trait, don't get me wrong, and it's not the problem I'm going to speak of, I'll get to that in a bit. Indeed, it allows Tact to do amazing things for his chosen girlfriend, liking dressing up in a Ranpha-centric outfit to cheer for her, and bravely exclaiming that he'll metaphorically run to catch up with Ranpha all the time.

And of course, most of the problems ARE Tact's fault, like Milfeulle losing her memory in Galaxy Angel Eternal Lovers because he was ignoring her for example, so again, don't get me wrong, that he's willing to work so hard to fix the problems he causes is a character trait I admire.

Here's my problem:

Why is Tact the only one who looks within?

Relationships go two ways, and if I've learned anything from watching my parents' successful over 30 years of marriage, it's that both partners in a relationship have to do some work to keep the relationship alive. Both must admit their faults, and try to do better.

But it seems to me (and this is VERY ironic given how much of a slacker Tact is when it comes to work) that Tact is the only one who admits his faults and WORKS HARD to try to mend any relationship problems.

None of the Angels ever really admit that they contribute to the problem as much as Tact, THAT is what's bugging me. They mostly just run away or act all depressed until Tact makes things all better.

For an arbitrary example, take the Mint route in Galaxy Angel Moonlit Lovers. Tact doesn't make his feelings clear to Mint, a half-asleep Chitose hugs Tact, Mint thinks Tact and Chitose like each other, and so forth.

So what happens? Well, Tact puts all the blame on himself, saying he should have made things clear to Mint from the very beginning. Which is TRUE, don't get me wrong, so it's admirable that he works his ass off chasing Mint down to try to talk things out and fix his mistake.

But the problem is Tact isn't the only one who made a mistake! Tact had never before given Mint cause to think he would be unfaithful; why didn't Mint stop herself from assuming the worst? It's Mint's fault too; if I had a girlfriend and I caught her hugging another guy, I'd remain calm and ask her what's going on. My first assumption wouldn't be that she's cheating; my first assumption would be that the guy's her father or brother or maybe they're old friends or he's congratulating her on winning a race or SOMETHING other than assuming with no proof that my previously-faithful girlfriend suddenly had a wandering eye.

Tact never calls Mint on this. He DOES call her out on running away from him and locking herself in her room, but that's it. Tact eventually solves everything by making his feelings clear to Mint, but nobody on the whole Elsior ever really admits that maybe Mint shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

This is scarcely the only example. Let's go back to the Milfeulle example in Galaxy Angel Eternal Lovers. Yes, Tact screwed up big-time here. I don't deny that. He threw himself into work, ignoring Milfeulle, he didn't ask her what was wrong when she seemed sad, etc. And yes, Milfeulle losing her memory was Tact's fault because of this ignorance.

But the argument they had was not completely Tact's fault. Milfeulle jumped to conclusions, thinking Tact was cheating on her with Lushati, all because she sometimes caught them talking together or Lushati had a swimsuit on or something. Milfeulle never asks any further, she just goes "sad face" and walks away. That's partly what causes Tact to finally blow his stack at Milfeulle, causing the infamous accident. Yes, Tact was wrong to accuse Milfeulle of doing suspicious things with Wein; HOWEVER, that was partly his own losing his temper over Milfeulle assuming he was cheating. And what about when all the other Angels surrounded Tact and kept him from chasing Milfeulle until it was too late, all because they assumed that Tact was unfaithful? It's never even really brought UP again; Tact just decides that he caused everything when the accident happens.

Which isn't wrong, given how badly Tact can screw up sometimes, but it sometimes feels like Tact's always the only one who ever undergoes any character development. None of the other Angels ever really pay for or learn from their mistakes in any meaningful sense; when they do, it's usually erased in the next game. Ranpha never learns not to jump to conclusions from the debacle in Moonlit Lovers; instead, she does it AGAIN where Lushati is concerned in Eternal Lovers.

Here's what's bugging me: If these are romantic RELATIONSHIPS we're talking about, why does it always seem that Tact's doing all the work (at least in terms of fixing errors, I don't mean things like Milfeulle constantly making Tact meals for example)?

That's not healthy. In my opinion, if BOTH partners can't admit when they make mistakes (and my parents both did which is why their marriage has lasted this long), the relationship is going to go sour at some point.

Is this bugging anyone else on this forum, or is it just me being "weird?"

Last edited by MartialArtsMaster on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Post Re: Something bothering me about this whole trilogy
..........Of course..........IT BUGS ME SO BLOODY MUCH!!!!!!
Thank god SOMEONE actually noticed it.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 pm

I think its just because Tact is the main character, so the focus is mostly on him...

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Typical Bishoujo games.

Never hope for anything much better as we know Broccoli never have good sales because of plot. Also this happens when you really take and just amplify one of the characteristics of those games where males are simply viewed as lower beings, which in GA case, they have to conform with the desires of the "Angels".

Although some of Bishoujo games have astounding plots, in GA case where the mere usage of this property without even modifying it leads to its failure. I'm just blaming the lack of creativity of Broccoli staffs here.

Seiha's #3 post and rep (Wait, does that exist?) whore.
-----
Pepper.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah Im thinking...doing that would throw the story arc out the window...so...they don't want to have to come up with MORE plot ideas...

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Not really, The angels eventually admit their mistakes, though timing's a bit off, like with Milfeulle's GA:EL route for example, She first goes all sad because tact is seeing Lushati, and then she comes to her senses and knows tact wouldn't betray her, but then she see's them together again and get's the bad feeling again, but this time feel's sad because she fully know's tact isn't doing anything wrong and trusts him but still act's like he did due to her delicate heart(she once said something like this, not accurate though, "I know what did what did isn't wrong,but I still..........I am a horrible person"), and as a result faults herself and is sad at herself while she's sad at tact at the same time, you see she admitted her fault.

and it's not like she didn't try to fix the problem, sure at first she tried avoiding talking with to think about the whole thing by herself, but still later when tact confessed to her again(after she lost her memory) she accepted hanging out with him, sure she could have done more but if she was as unsupportive as you claim she is then she would have completely refused tact, heck afterwards she tried really hard to remember(even if it was after tact thought it was alright if she didn't).

not just that, but also, in GA:ML in her route, she end's up being the one who fixes the problem more than tact himself does and it's more tact's fault than her's this time, kinda the opposite of their story in GA:EL so there are also times when she is the more supportive one than tact, sure she isn't always like that, but neither is tact.

another example, mint's GA:EL route, though I'll put it in spoilers since it was just translated at version 0.85.

I could go on but I better stop being boring and get to the point, you see, the galaxy angels show regret and apologize for their mistakes, but the reason most of you don't notice is because they apologize/admit only once or twice while tact does so several times, the reason for that is because we view the story from tact's perspective and thus most of the time we view his thoughts and conversations with EVERYONE, I am sure that if we for example viewed Milfeulle's GA:EL route from her perspective then we would have seen her blaming herself over and over about a million times.

and not to mention, the reason no one apologizes at the end(and not at the middle) is because it is the nature of tact and the angel wing to forget about the problem after it was solved, and I mean literally, when when tact and Milfeulle talked with lushati before going to the val-vasc they had completly forgotten about the whole lushati misunderstanding business(even after Milfeulle remembered everything) untill lushati herself reminded them.

so yeah, the galaxy angel's feel guilt, admit it, and are supportive and hard working, but we don't see it from them as much as we see it from tact because we view the game from tact's perspective.

well TBH, I am not 100% sure about my argument yet though, I may need to reply a few stuff in the games before I say anymore, but still think about it, the girls aren't just complete insensitive unappreciative unhelpful burdens to tact.

Wish there was a "Tact Fan" pic too.

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 pm

once......they do it once.......
I feel bad for Tact now.

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:03 am

Well, then again, that seems to fit Mint's personality...

Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 am

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 am

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:04 am

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]