[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Translation Notes
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Translation Notes 
Post Translation Notes
While not actually used in the game because of map setup, contraceptives do have a "KOed"/"Falling" animation. Technically, so does the Kiryuu-sperm, but it's an obviously incomplete filler sprite sheet that is just his normal graphic whited out.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:48 pm
Post Re: Translation Notes
Angelina is super SUPER archaic. I guarantee that I'll mess up at least something she says as many of the words she uses have long since changed common meaning. I'm trying to be careful, but she's a handful and I'm learning more about etymology than I wanted to know every time she uses something that seems out of place.

She's also very cutesy, moreso in kid form than adult, and ends most sentences with "no ja", just an archaic pronunciation of "no da." All it does is add emphasis anyway.

Sayaka is also a little archaic, but not nearly as much. Mainly, she uses 某 as her personal pronoun.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 pm
The thing with the charm is that Natsumi meant to give him one with 安全 (Anzen - safety) written on it, but instead gave him one with 安産 (Anzan - safe childbirth). In the scene where she realizes the error, she also thinks for a moment that he meant 暗算 (Anzan - mental math).

Anyway, just going to change it a little bit to make stuff work better.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm
When the conception battle stuff first comes up, Angelina says succeeding is like "kakuhen" which is a pachinko term. Whatever, yo. I know what it means. I just don't care to go PACHINKO.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm
There's a little wordplay in Sayaka's intro.
After she talks about her sword, Kiryuu works off it with Togaakushi's name. Togakushi is written as hidden/sheathed sword, so he says that her sword is powerless against his school's name and that he'll sheathe it.

Just changing stuff.

He does it again during their sex scene, but that's too silly to not keep.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 pm
Sayaka's kid keeps asking about words that end in 'han.' The first two (by script) can be pretty much just translated with the joke intact, but the last two don't really mean anything. Aka gohan (red rice) is just another way of saying sekihan, which is used for celebrating in general. Technically it was used in some parts of Japan to commemorate a girl's first menstruation, but I really don't think that's what this is referring to. The other is hachirihan, which explaining the entire etymology of that requires a geography lesson on chestnuts. It means sweet potato, but the words themselves are a measure of land area.

Suffice it to say, neither work well so am tweaking/changing.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:55 pm
In one of Sayaka's events she says "There are seven samurai living in each grain of rice." Typically, it's more like "There are seven gods living in every grain of rice" as an admonishment to not waste rice. That's a little arcane to expect Westerners to understand, so I'm just changing it a little bit.

Another one of her events, she changes her usual speech pattern in order to be more girly. Since it's mostly through using watashi instead of soregashi and similar Japaneseness that can't be really gotten across easily in a few lines, I'm over exaggerating some other stuff instead.

When she's pregnant, she's sewing temari balls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temari_(toy)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 pm
Not really important, but Imari refers to Kiryuu as おにーちゃん while Natsumi uses お兄ちゃん. Moeko also uses the hiragana for his name instead of kanji.

TRIVIAL DIFFERENCES!

Also, since he brings it up a time or two during their scene(s), Natsumi talks a little bit like a tomboy. Not much honestly, but he just remarks on how she's acting girlier than usual and that's where it comes from. She also sometimes uses the third person. It's just slipping into a more childish thing.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:02 pm
Imari's kid specifically asks about "pokebells" (pocket bells, aka fancier beepers) and idou phones.

I am aware of what the actual references are. I am pretty sure anybody reading this in English is not and would probably confuse it with a pokemon reference. Just changing them.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am
Roboko's speech tic is to just use de arimasu. It's just because she's a military 'robot' thing. I'm just making her a little more robotish to account for it although her speech and wordchoice isn't really that far from normal besides the de arimasu.

During her fight stuff when she's rebooting or whatever you want to call it, she slips out of the de arimasu and Kiryuu slips in. Then to make sure you got the joke, Tsubaki points it out. Just changing slightly.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 am
The 'joke' in Urara's ending is a reference to Heidi, where Clara (or in Japanese literation, Kurara) begins walking without her wheelchair. They directly quote that part with Urara's name in place of 'Kurara.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL59L10zBBY (the line itself is probably meant to reference the scene in the movie, not the show though)

Hi-la-ri-ous.

And if anybody reading the translation gets that reference, I'd be shocked. Just replacing it with a 'risen' thing to sort of play off her death obsession.

I guess.

Oi.

Edit:
One of her home greeting events also references Heidi. Specifically, Mrs. Rottenmeier.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:08 pm
Showdown with Airin, she tells Kiryuu to take her name as a gift from her to 冥土 (meido - the afterlife). Yada yada, MAID, yada yada, hilarious.

Changing.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 pm
Fight against Ouka

Pierre calls him a complete pervert. He corrects that to a 'muttsuri pervert' which means someone who pretends to not be a pervert, but is secretly a huge one.

Also changed the curse thing. Just language stuff that doesn't work.

-------
Ouka greeting

The white string thing is a real urban legend in Japan.
http://www.scaryforkids.com/white-string/

---
In her daughter's greetings, she's beginning shiritori with various monsters or pseudo-supernatural creatures. Look them up yourself. The song is... uh...
http://komuso.com/pieces/pieces.pl?piece=2392

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 pm
I admit a lack of knowledge of Japanese botany to really be able to fully grasp the difference between バラの実 and ハマナス. The rose hip is just the fruit of it as near as I can tell through the internet.

Just changing slightly I guess.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 am
Before Nas's battle, Kiryuu misreads the bath's name as 湯の宝子 (Yu no Takarako), which is two wordplay things. Firstly it's a reference to Takara no Yu, a famous hot springs. Second, if you read it 'backwards' (in this case, he read it backwards), it becomes 子宝の湯 (Kodakura no Yu), Hot Bath of Children (as in like... fertility, I guess, but not 'for kids').

Just chizzidy chizanging.

----------

Also, Natsumi says "Don't let your daughter in law eat eggplants." Just an idiom that I'm changing. Look it up yourself. 秋茄子は嫁に食わすな

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 am
It looks like the "Welcome home" scenes for Roboko and Moeko (and daughters) aren't actually implemented. They do exist in the scripts though.

mdkb1/$2$SC1130.disassembled
mdkb1/$3$SC1140.disassembled

Robokoko's deal is that she says everything in English. Like so.
mdkb1/$2$MEK0015.OGG

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 am

Post Translation Notes
No worries. I had a free moment then. I just put the extra info about the level of effort so that it would be appreciated.

As soon as I figure out how to clone myself, Ill have my clone answer these full-time. I actually like this act of providing education and information. Unfortunately, theres no way to make a living doing it.

Cheers,
-Gary.

;-)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:57 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]