[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Translation Notes
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Translation Notes 
Post Re: Translation Notes
All of a sudden in the middle of her route, and quite out of nowhere, Kaede begins going on repeatedly about ki. I think it's because Giga realized it needed to run parallel with Berio's and couldn't think of any other way to do it.

Just saying that it really doesn't particularly come up before that at any time and I am aware that it's just kind of handwaved into existence. Blame Giga.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 am
I can't believe it too me this long to get this. 背の君 is an archaic way of saying husband. Kaede uses it a few times on her route when talking about Taiga. It means literally "at my back" (or something close to that), which also has to do with her magic tatoos being only able to be seen by her lover "at her back."

As you can imagine, the double meanings here do not really translate in any decent way.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 am
The English subtitles aren't used for the final chapter splash screens, so Giga left silly secret messages there instead. Like so:

The secret messages by route are:

Kaede: NinNin
Rico: UnaUna
Nanashi: Moge!
Lily: Kanari Kanzaki!
Mia: (´∀`) Hoo...

Berio and Crea/Justice are blank.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 am
Rico route
Nanashi renames the forest 元気がモリ森. Genki ga Mori Mori, meaning something like the Forest of Staying Happy, but with the Mori Mori thing being the 'joke' there.

Mia then suggests キノコがやま森, followed by Berio saying タケノコ and Lily correcting her to タケノコは里. キノコがやま森 and タケノコは里 are both chocolate covered candy in Japan.

HILARIOUS JOKES, GIGA.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:38 pm
Rico chapter 11.
Part of Taiga and Rico's description of the enemy's plan is done through shogi metaphor. Just cutting the shoginess.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:40 pm
Rico chapter 12
When talking about regrets etc, Rico misquotes what Taiga said. Choosing to just ignore it.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:25 pm
Rico final chapter:
I have no idea what a "Vermillion" is, but it's in 'English' so apparently it's some kind of measurement.

In Rico's ending, Mia teases Taiga about writing an exchange diary that he never gives to anybody. It's a thing silly teenage girls used to do. The scene ends with him dropping it and asking the 'girl' he bumped into if she'll accept it. Just kind of massaging that stuff a bit. Just noting that yes, I am aware of what exchange diaries are.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 pm
Late in Nanako's route, Taiga quotes a proverb from Ieyasu.
I'm just going to literalize it because Ieyasu's a chump. And nobody will reasonably know the quote anyway.

Also somewhat a little idiomatic, when obliquely discussing "finding something" (almost assuredly referencing the Messiah Armor for the later routes), Taiga turns a phrase on the proverb "You cannot catch a tiger cub unless you brave the tiger's lair" (ie, nothing ventured, nothing gained). He says something along the lines of "Before you go searching, you better make sure you've killed everything but the tiger cub you want."

Also, regarding Taiga and Rubinas, it is a LITTLE unusual that Taiga uses an honorific when talking to her since he usually avoids them aside from when he's trying to be ingratiating. They do directly point it out a couple times, but... eh. It's not really important enough to make a big awkward deal out of it.

Somewhat weirdly, the PC version uses Necrotek (NectroTech?) here while the PS2 version uses Necromatic. Neither really fits well in usage though.

Finally for Nanashi's route, there's some double meaning going on at the end. They're saying "feel each other" and mean it literally given their bodies, but contextually, it also means "arouse" or "turned on by." It sort of came up before with the Nanashi foreplay in her route as sort of foreshadowing I guess, but it was a lot easier to handle there since Taiga was using strictly the arousal meaning instead of the double.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm
Just so we're all clear, when Lily finally snaps in the prison, that's meant to be a series of giant punctuation-less run-on sentences, and due to all of them filling up the entire text boxes in Japanese, it's impossible to get all of it in and accurate.

Last chapter Lily
Downy calls Dahlia a dark knight in Japanese, and refers to himself as a dark knight in English. Just kind of reworking that a little bit to get away from issues of translating English to English.

Also, I guess it probably bears a little mention. Imnity never actually defines a sex for the White Apostle in all the ending bits in Lily's stuff so it's SLIGHTLY more obfuscated, but there are only 5 males total in DS, and at that point, two are dead, one is automatically DQed, and the other just said that he wasn't it barely a few minutes ago, leaving Sel as the only even possible male and... no. Just no. I'm just using pronouns because that won't make it as awkward and clumsy as hell. It should be painfully obvious who it is at that point anyway.
Duel Savior's fondness of practically screaming out reveals that happen in future routes towards the end of previous ones is not one of its more endearing traits.

It also doesn't really have to do with Duel Savior, but it's worth noting somewhere. Lobelia says that there were only four Savior Candidates 1,000 years ago. Angel Breath semi-retcons this. Crimea was also a Savior Candidate then, but she was hurt and presumed dead somewhere along the way, then ended up with amnesia so... *shrug*. That's not a spoiler for Angel Breath either. It's listed in the character descriptions on the website.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 pm
Near the beginning of Mia 12.

Taiga says "The sun's really yellow." This is a somewhat common Japanese literary remark indicating that the speaker/observer has been up all night. IE, they're tired and thus photosensitive and the sun appears abnormally yellow. Taiga also remarks on his own literary 'wit,' for saying it and how the literature of Earth is lost on Lily.

Just going to lower it a level or two. And change the silent musing.

----
Mia 13
During the flashback, Mia's screams and the chimera's growling/licking are in a different order from the original event. I'm just going to ignore it. But I am aware that the error exists.
And just for the record, Imn absolutely does talk completely differently during it than usual.

Just to mention it somewhere, there's quite a bit going on with Mia's breakdown here. She slips in and out of kanji, katakana, and hiragana as she flips out, and almost through the entire thing, she's using the third person that she has used before when she gets upset. There are also a couple parts of her rantings that don't translate all that well, like telling Lily "You're unneeded... You're the most unneeded," kind of lacks the "I am about to vaporize your ass before I obliterate the world" edge of insanity that it should have, so some of these short, punchy statements aren't being translated particularly accurately in order to better maintain the emotion and flow.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 pm
This is almost certainly an error. Lobelia uses 暗黒の騎士 on the bridge (lit. Knight of Darkness), but everywhere else, all other characters refer to her as 暗黒騎士 (Dark Knight). Regardless of that, Dark Knight (in English) is used to refer to someone else, so I'm going with Black Knight for her instead.

Edit:
Ugh. Destiny changes a lot of those to Dark Knight (in English). Bleh. Whatever.

Furthermore, there's a little bit of capitalization awkwardness between her and her former compatriots who all have exceedingly mundane titles compared to her current ones, so I'm going to gussy that up slightly so capitalization is warranted there too. I'm not fully comfortable with changing Rubinas too far (or at all, really) off of alchemist though considering how important that is to her stuff. Just accepting one instance of awkward capitalization in order to make things all match up and consistent with everybody else.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:29 pm
The language Mia is speaking when she turns on the Throne of God is Hebrew.

At least in theory.

Actually... now that I know that's supposed to be Hebrew, I suppose most of the chants are meant to be Hebrew, but with no subtitles given for any but that bit... hell if I can really tell and I haven't been able to track down any Hebrew spekers either so... uh... I guess I'll just Hebrewize it... from katakana which may or may not even be right... as best I can. If you actually know what some of these words should be, drop me a line.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 pm
In the utterly nonsensical end of the MiaB ending, the two 'reincarnations' or whatever you want to call them, are named Miku and Daichi, whose names are written as "future" and "land." The first character in both their names are also the same as Mia and Taiga's names (未来, 未亜 and 大地, 大河).

Also during that scene (and the identical MiaA version), when Miku's/Mia's jonesing for her goodbye kiss, Daichi/Taiga says there's traffic (ourai) (往来! ここ往来っ!), to which she replies "オーライオーライ", (ourai ourai) which is sort of mangled Engrish "It's all right." Then they both go "That was a horrible horrible joke". Yes. Yes it was. And as a joke consisting of literally one homophone, does not work in English at all.

And just to address it somewhere since here's the first place it actually comes up, it's really not clear what Taiga and Mia's familial relationship is and the game contradicts itself a little bit concerning that during the MiaA and Harem routes. Taiga and Mia don't think they're blood related. Rubinas and Traitor claim they're half siblings. So... uh... Take that as you will. Given that Justice/Harem came 10 months after DS and no statement about it has any actual explanation attached to it besides "IT'S MAGIC!", god only knows.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm
Drunk times:
Yes, I know what an uwabami is. No, I don't care.

The idiom Berio's referring to is "We're fools whether we dance or not, so might as well dance," only twisted a little bit to be more baiting.

Just for giggles to show that I'm paying attention, during the orgy, Giga screws up and Kaede uses the kanji for "-dono" instead of the katakana like everywhere else.

There's some double meaning with Nanako towards the end of her orgy bit. I am aware of it. It's just colloquial orgasm yells mixed with her being 'dead.'

Speaking of Nanako, post-orgy. In the dream of Rubinas, for some reason, Rubinas calls her Nanako there instead of Nanashi as she does everywhere else. I'm aware that it's a mistake, but the voicing on both PC and PS2 preserves it, so *shrug*

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:57 pm
Harem/Crea route, post-Messiah Armor:
While arguing with Imn, Downy calls her way "White mistletoe/ivy." It's a kind of weird metaphor that I believe is just meant to mean that her way is more insidious, creeping, etc for all the things ivy's known for. It doesn't really work all that well in the original and I'm sure would confuse if just kept, so simplifying it.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm
Beginning in harem chapter 12, Taiga's no longer the narrator. However, much of the narration is just copy/pasted from Kaede/Berio's corresponding chapter. Instead of copying it over in Taiga's voice, I'm simply going to retranslate it to remove his style/characterization since it shouldn't be in there.

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 am
Harem Exposition

Muriel's exposition of the Messiah War a thousand years ago is just mostly copy/pasted from Mia's route (with her replacing Rico's lines in it), but is actually voiced this time. I'm going to go ahead and insert those voices into Mia's route too.

When Berio heals Sel after that, she uses a slightly different healing chant. I'm not sure why, and the 'spell' part itself is identical, so I'm just assuming it's an error.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:47 pm
It's not actually an 'error' per se, but during the Lobelia confrontation in all the final harem bits, Nanashi says 待つ (matsu - wait) instead of the homophone 松 (matsu - pine) that she uses essentially every single other time that she says that.

Granted, only three other times, but it's still 100% of the time up to that point.

It also gives me a good excuse/replacement for the slight exchange since Lobelia picks up on the 'desu no' speech tic.

For giggles, when the armor's attacking Mia, they accidentally use the wrong closed quotation mark. 」 instead of 」

The writing gets a little obnoxiously 'clever' in the epilogue of the haremness.
大河 (Taiga) literally means "great river" and they use that to refer to how he's travelling across the land as the way of 'revealing' his identity. Literally something like "Walking just like a Taiga (great river) flowing across the land." Just going to rewrite that line.

All of the kids are also sort of pseudo puns. 大 in general means big or great.

大聖 - Taisei (Berio) - 聖 means Holy
雄大 - Yuudai (Kaede) - 雄 means Hero (雄大 also means magnificient)
大雅 - Taiga (Rico) - 雅 means Elegant
大地 - Daichi (Lily) - 地 means Land
大輝 - Daiki (Mia) - 輝 means Shine

In Destiny's version of the ending, Taiga is just spelled in katakana (タイガ).

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:28 pm
I'm making up/shuffling around some of the Parry Mode titles due to a lack of space/length.

Just an FYI!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:57 am
Some image stuff
---

While there are a few unused background variants that exist in the visual folder, this is the only CG variant is never called (probably).
ds/VISUAL_031F.jpg
Edit: There's another from towards the end of Mia's route that isn't called and a couple minor variations in her route are not recorded in the gallery for whatever reason.

There's also this gem in the Visual (CGs/Backgrounds) folder.
ds/Shigepi-.jpg
Indeed.

--------------
The bmp (sprites) folder is FILLED with unused stuff. Some was used in the game's trial or on the Justice Messiah Training Disk, and some of it is just legacy stuff Baldr Force. There are even Leviathan sprites in there. Other things are just confusing.
ds/FO-rock05.bmp

In Destiny, the sepia versions of some CGs ARE separate CGs like they are in Justice, but for whatever reason, they're not part of the CG gallery. Since they're all used in very quick flashbacks, I'm just going to use the in-engine greyscaling on the original images instead of subjecting myself to the pain of pulling them out.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm
Xross Savior:

Cameo games by chapter are:
Chapter 1: ---
Chapter 2: Angel Breath (Gabrielle), Parfait (Rea), Chocolat (everyone else)
Chapter 3: Kono Aozora, Baldr Force (Renn)
Chapter 4: Angel Breath, Baldr Force (Genha)
Chapter 5: Cheerfull!
Chapter 6: Variable Geo
Chapter 7: ---

Rea's name is written using pretty obscure kanji, so everybody misreads it and ends up calling her a sort of fusion of her names "Katorea" which she hates. That's all the 'joke' is. Just changing it to bad handwriting instead of obscure kanji.

"Angels in White" is just a common colloquialism for nurses, but I'm keeping it more literal because Taiga.

Two Princesses:
We do not ask why Lotte's stockings appear and disappear half at random in her CGs.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 am
Destiny/Crea events:

The second Crea event is very similar to her initial event in Two Princesses. Except that the start and end are different... and it doesn't take place at night. But much of the actual conversation is copy/pasted.

Take that as you will.

Apparently Crea's chamberlain is named ジーク, which doesn't come up until very late in Destiny, but she just calls him 爺. I've papered over it elsewhere since it's unimportant and clumsy in English, but I feel the need to point out Giga's poor attempt at being 'clever.'

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm
Destiny/Crea Route
Pre-picnic town stuff.
There's a number of very slight basically copy/paste errors between the Destiny/Justice version of that scene that don't account for Lily being booted out and Crea put in her place. Just fixing that stuff as I go.

And just to head this off, although nobody will read it anyway, I bet, 'adult' Crea has no sprite. Sort of. There are in Xross's files, but they're never actually used anywhere. Not in Xross, not in Destiny, nowhere. They wouldn't fit that scene anyway since she's in street clothes, not the regal stuff.

Also, Post Bridge-Battle:
Fixing one of Sel's voice tags. Just a flat out error pointing to the wrong file. Easily fixed.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:14 pm
Destiny/Crea Route

Traitor scene/Epilogues

Just saying that I'm aware that it's kind of a 'continuity' error between Justice and Destiny.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm
At the very end of Justice/Destiny, when they're showing the various worlds collapsing, the first two worlds are fairly obviously Baldr Force and Chocolat. In Justice, they just use generic names/non-characters (ie "Youth", "Cook"), but in Destiny, they use actual characters from those games instead.

No idea whatsoever what the third world is supposed to be, if anything specific at all.

They also grossly mispronounce "catastrophe."

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next