[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Translation Notes
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Translation Notes 
Post Re: Translation Notes
Fixing another Eushully cockup.
焔の祭殿 and 焔の祭壇 both refer to the same place (Shrine vs Altar). The former is used about ten times (including the graphics and location ID) while the later is used about five times, so let's go with the former.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 am
Fixing yet ANOTHER Eushully mistake.
They spell the previous lord's name two different ways (ガドレア and ガレドア). Going with the one they use a whole two more times than the other.

Getting really sick of this crap, Eushully.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 pm
During the Ragsmuena/Yuela scene, Ragsmuena says 貸し which Yuela then repeats back as 菓子. They're both pronounced the same and the former's just a single 'thought' and not part of a greater sentence, so it's hard to tell if they actually mean what's written or if it's just a mistake. I'm assuming it is though for two reasons. A.) It doesn't come up in the alt version of the scene without Rags recruited, B.) Keeping it as the snack meaning makes Rags's thought one cohesive thing instead of two different tangentially related ones.

-----
This is a mistake though.

In the same scene, Yuela asks R where her sister's sword is. One dungeon later, she tells Wil that she's known her sister's sword has been in the manor ever since he fixed her sword. Slightly contradictory there, eh, Eush? I'm just switching the former to ask what happened to it since she asks that later herself.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm
No pronunciation for 鎮堤 is given, nor is it used by any characters that have a voice. It's clearly a proper noun (a name of a prefecture in Tokiya to be exact), but... eh. Just saying that how it's romanized is at least somewhat debatable. It's not a major point and only comes up about four or five times in passing anyway.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 pm
I'm going to go ahead and deliberately change/tweak a number of minor things concerning the seals in Yuidora's mine in regards to the sneak attack stuff in Yuela's route to make it about 99% less Ass-pully and generally nonsensical. More exactly, I'm going to make Rosana actually indirectly mention other ways out of the mine before Wil suddenly says that he's learned about them as lord, and take away Wil's magical mine-sealing powers to replace them with the power of physics.

Seriously, he just waves his hand and then goes "Now nobody can use this passage ever again," then later talks about posting guards there. Why, Eushully?

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:04 am
There's a bit of Eushully inconsistency in regards to the whole shogun thing. Whenever the protagonists (usually Yuela), refer to the shogun, they mean Di Phandao. They never call any other character a shogun, even Yuela. However, the leader of the Zof forces in the sneak attack mission is also technically a shogun and the Disnafrody soldiers refer to him like that... but only SOMETIMES. If they were more consistent, I might be inclined to let him be called it too, but that could also be a little confusing, so I'm just going to leave all references to him as a general.

Also...
Just to be clear, there's a TON left unexplained in the ending scenes of Yuela's route concerning Di-Phandao and her parents. It's a pretty common complaint/question if you thumb through Japanese sites/discussions on the game. Without actually KNOWING what went on, applying context is kind of hard. I've skirted the line as much as I can, but the lack of stuff isn't a mistake. There's just a lot that's kind of... just not there.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:30 am
Concerning the mascots, Eushully and Black Eushully are generally referred to as White Eu-jou (白エウ娘) and Black Eu-jou (黒エウ娘) in the variable files. I'm 99% certain that it's just because Black Eushully-chan is MASSIVE in katakana (ブラックエウシュリーちゃん) and would probably overflow out of most of the text boxes. Hell, エウシュリーちゃん alone fills an entire line in the Quest Info text fields.

I don't have that problem though since English is more compact than kata, so I'm just going to use their regular names.

I imagine for similar reasons, Anastasia (アナスタシア) is referred to as Nas (ナス) in some places and Eukleia is referred to as メイド天使長 (Head Angel Maid). Just going to change those too.

And if you didn't know, they're just Eushully's mascots that appear as bonus characters in most of their games. Eukleia is the parent company of Eushully, and Anastasia is Eushully's sister company, also owned by Eukleia.

I guess I may as well also note that she calls Wil danna-sama, which means basically "master of the house" and is generally from wives to husbands or a (female) maid/servant to employer. There's no real good equivilent and she makes it worse by correcting herself away from goshujin-sama at the start, so... yeah. It's just an excessively Japanesey thing without a good equivilent. I am aware of it and kind of split the difference.

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:11 pm
Re: Ch 3, post-Reaper scene

The scene is SLIGHTLY different depending on whether or not you're on Yuela's route besides the obvious thing of Yuela talking to her (Emi and Serawi share the same). The two scripts themselves are completely different, but share a ton of lines which are about 95% the same with tiny things like たち vs 達 or minor interjections at the start of sentences , like 「くっ、俺は認めないぞっ!」 in Emi/Serawi's and 「ぐぬぬぬ……俺は認めないぞっ!」 in Yuela's.

Sometimes it's more substantial, like
{{JPN|112|「いやー、なんにせよ、倒せて良かったよ。お前……えーっと、名前、なんて言ったっけ?」}}
{{JPN|237|「なんにせよ倒せて良かった。お主……んん? 名前をなんと言ったか?」}}

But they still say basically the same goddamned thing, damn it, just with different ums and ers. It's like the two had the same base but were edited by two different people, or different revisions.

This BS carries over into other scripts in this scene-set too.
{{JPN|8|死神を退治したという報せは、一足早く酒場に伝わり、俺達が戻ったときにはもう、お祭り騒ぎのようになっていた。}}
{{JPN|8|死神を退治したという報せは一足早く酒場に伝わり、俺達が戻った時にはもう、お祭り騒ぎのようになっていた。}}
{{JPN|59|死神を退治したという報せは、一足早く酒場に伝わり、俺たちが戻ったときにはもう、お祭り騒ぎのようになっていた。}}

Three 'identical' lines, three different scripts, can't even efficiently use search to find this crap. For funsies, try to guess which line belongs to which route.

Le sigh.

Christ. This nonsense goes on for almost every line for all three routes for a ~250 line scene. Why do you torture me, Eushully? Why?

Urgh.

It happens again late game with the siege scenes.
Ex.
{{JPN|231|そんな光景が、門から広場へと続く主要な通りの至るところで見られた。}}
{{JPN|236|そんな光景が、門から広場へと続く主要な通りの至る所で見られた。}}

At least this time it's only about a dozen lines.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 am
I'm going to name a nameless character. She's a minor side-character for the most part EXCEPT that she plays a fairly big role in Emi's route with 5 mandatory quests. The game always refers to her as 馴染みの店員 (Familiar Clerk/Clerk I'm friends with)... except when it refers to her as 顔馴染みの店員 (Clerk with a familiar face), so again, thanks for making my decisions to improve your horribly inconsistent writing/editing easier, Eushully.

The main reason is that it's really hard to write with her not having a name. It's awkward enough that Wil claims to be good friends with her and never uses her name, but it's REALLY hard to write and not make it obtrusive/obnoxious that she's unnamed when you have nothing to use for her but pronouns and more often than not (especially in Emi's route), there are multiple other females in the scene. Continually calling her "That clerk I know" or even just "the clerk" in order to be able to shift pronouns is... painful. The alternative is bad writing through excessive overuse of pronouns. Her father, who is even more minor, DOES have a name too, making the whole thing even more bizarre.

Ella was chosen because it's more or less in-line with all the other relatively boring female Yuidora names (Rosanna, Jane, Hannah, etc) as sufficiently bland/generic. I also don't know anybody named that.

Bitch about it at your own peril.

As a slight side note, it's very obvious that Cledoriamus didn't originally have a name either. Wil never uses it and always just calls him "that noble."
Good work, Eushully.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 pm
I AM aware that there's quite a bit of hubub and whatnot concerning the exactly species of demons (associated with darkness, as opposed to angels associated with light), and the "magic demons" (going with fiends) which are basically incredibly powerful and generally capricious interdimensional forces of nature, but since it's only really part of the post-game and not important to the plot at all, I'm not looking too deep into the generally Eushully-verse lore. Characters refer to Mylen as both a demon and a fiend anyway.

I mainly bring it up because it refers to the demons that Mylen summons as also being the same kind of fiend as her, right after going on and on about how all of her species is incredibly powerful. Immediately following "Oh god, fiends are so powerful!" with a bunch of fairly weak grunts is a little... stupid. So I'm generally referring to them as just devils/demons and calling Mylen the only SUPER DEMON of the lot.

Short version is basically that the Eushullyverse has a billion different species of 'demons' and demon-types (魔族, 魔神, 魔人, 悪魔, 睡魔, 歪魔 are the first six that come to mind), some of which are subsets of others, etc. Since the distinction is pretty irrelevant to the plot and only really comes up at all in the NG+ events, only in special cases am I going to pay close attention to exact speciation.

Please don't consider my terminology choices as the be-all end-all for other Eushully game translations though.

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:17 pm
Lyphia and her group are cameo characters from Verita. The deal with Evelyn's somewhat weird way of speaking is that despite her appearance, she's very mentally young/immature. Small children using the third person to refer to themselves isn't particularly uncommon. That's all it is. Nothing more than that. Japanese culture is silly. Aht and Mylen do the same thing, but they're a lot more generally childish to begin with. Ev's referring to Louis (one of the main characters from Verita) when she says onii-chan, not an actual brother. Lyphia has a somewhat unusual speaking pattern for the game too in that it uses a lot of archaic wording, but that's about it. Just notable because everybody else besides Kohakuren is pretty much normal.

Edit: I went ahead and changed my mind. I removed some stuff from Lyphia's dictionary entry to keep from spoiling events in the Genrin series that Louis (her grandfather) originally comes from. It's not a spoiler as of VERITA, but certainly is a spoiler for the previous games in the series.

Oh, and Lyphia's race is written as 魔人 as opposed to 魔神, but they share the same pronunciation. That she's some kind of hybrid devil is directly discussed at the start of her events anyway, although it bears asking the question of how Wil could tell the difference in what is supposedly a spoken line.
WRITING.
They also do use a different term for half-demon too, otherwise I would've just gone with that. Too damn many demon words.

Lastly concerning Lyphia, I took a few liberties with the translation of why the Wailing Legion is named such to give it the proper 'scary' factor that the name supposedly has. *shrug*

Somewhat tangentially related, it's a little amusing how they don't make much of Evelyn being a devil, but collectively all crap themselves over Asmo being a devil, but like I've said many times, the writing is... inconsistent. Triply so for the appends.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 am
Re: Mascot equipment
The recipe dictionary isn't quite right for the requirements. The mascot equipment requires both clearing the quest for the initial item as well as leveling the item. There's no way to fit this all in though, AND the Japanese just has the quest requirement listed.

Since the recipe would only spawn once the weapon is leveled anyway, the only time you'd even notice this is on an NG+ where equipment isn't carried over. I am aware of the mistake though, and the mistake exists in the original, but I am choosing not to fix it because of a lack of space.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 am
Changed some stuff with Rosanna's illness to again... make it slightly less "HERE IT IS!...NOW IT'S GONE!"

I seriously think they programmed the quest and then the day before master, remembered to fill in the scene. There are markings in the script that seem to indicate it was supposed to be a lot more... well... existent too.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:39 am
In Serawi's route during the initial purifier stuff, Yuela says ない袖は振れぬ ("An empty sleeve cannot be shaken"), which is a proverb meaning that if you lack money/influence, you can't do anything (wallets were kept in sleeves).

Just de-metaphoring it since there's not a good western equivilent.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 pm
The Mikelty royal family usually has 聖なる闇 tacked onto it, but it happens more often in things like item names and chapter titles where it is way too long to fit so I'm just ignoring it. It's just a title that doesn't really mean anything sensical anyway (Holy Dark, I guess...), probably to differentiate their lineage from others, but there aren't any others, so whatever. Just dropping it for the most part because there's no good way to shorten it.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:47 am
I'm renaming the initial forest area. The problem comes up in Serawi's route where they clearly distinguish between the overall area (エルフ領域の森 - Elven Forest Area) and a specific part of it (エルフの森 - Elven Forest). It's ambiguous and needlessly confusing to have two different things with essentially the exact same name.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 am
So, uh...
In Serawi's chapter 6, there's a map full of trolls where if you let Control drop below 50%, game over. When that happens, it calls a script that says "We killed the troll, now the rest of them are fleeing. We've protected the forest." Then it goes to the game over screen.

So... it's a script meant for victory on the map, but the trigger for it is a specific kind of game over. There's no other associated scripts with the map. God only knows what happened. Incorrect pointers or something.

As tempted as I am to just leave it in as a testament to the awesome job of playtesting Eushully did, I'm just going to ahead and completely rewrite something appropriate for the scene, hopefully exactly opposite of the original.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:02 am
The 2.0 Uberskills are mostly a collection of a bunch of lesser skills. There is literally no way to fit them all into the available space, so I'm just shorthanding them as best I can. Necessary evil given the engine and language.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:51 pm
I'm going to change the exam riddle somewhat because A.) It's kind of stupid anyway, and B.) 100% of the editors thus far have been frustrated by it.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm
Regarding some skill stuff:
I know that the dictionary/descriptions for the combination attacks don't say the type (as in attack or magic), but due to space limitations, there's not enough room. It's not included in the original anyway.

I also noted elsewhere, but FS Cost isn't actually used by any skill in the game. Not entirely certain why it's there. Amusingly, there is at least one skill that costs HP, but that's not noted anywhere but the description. There's no spot for HP cost in the dict.

Again, amazing work, Eush.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 am
The game's title screen was altered because it's incredibly lame to use a route-specific endgame CG as the title screen. What's supposed to be a grand moment of discovery is completely undermined by showing the same picture you would have seen dozens and dozens of times by that point. Don't think of it as changing the title screen, think of it as gaining an extra CG.
The new title is just the image that Eushully uses for the game on its website as close as I could duplicate (more or less) using in-game resources.

If it gets your panties in a twist, just delete SO005.AGF from the patch folder to restore the original.

And no, I have no idea what "God Captor" refers to, but it's the official English translation of "Kamidori" Eushully uses and it's not a completely insane translation, so let's roll with it.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 am
Old chap, May I Ask Why Not "Homeward Easterly" in the name of chapter 4?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 am
Some Maid Angel abilities are actually French.

【Beer Douche/Black EU Girl Only】 Bukkake enemy with shaken beer.
【Brosse Lave/White EU Girl Only】 Throw scrub brush.
also
【Boil Whirl/Black EU Girl Only】 Whirl boiling kettle.
Wasn't apparent until I saw the descriptions in Verita.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I thought "B.N.H." may mean "bring no harm". :)

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2