[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Translation Notes
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Translation Notes 
Post Translation Notes

Sun May 15, 2011 7:11 pm
Post Re: Translation Notes
Regarding the 'None' element.

It's not really a bug, but 'None' is separate element from the 7 normal ones (Phys, Fire, Ice, Earth, Wind, Holy, Dark) in that nothing can resist it. In that sense, it acts like Almighty from Persona. However, at the same time, the variable that displays it in things like the Item Dictionary is shared with terrain of all things. IE, terrain that has no elemental association is also None.

This creates the awkward situation where the same word has to be used for both attacks that surpass all elements and cannot be resisted as well as land that has no element. IE, either:
Omni terrain that has no elemental effect or
None Type weapons that pass all resistances.

The decision made was to use Omni for skills in the descriptions to explicitly indicate how they react to resistances and use -- for terrain/weapon popup as kind of a midway between the two.

--------------------------

Re: Aht's name.

Munt (ムント) really is old high German for 'guardian,' however, I can't find anything at all in any language that corresponds to "ahm" (アム) for 'beginning,' so... uh... it's really hard to tell if they just made it up or if it's some archaic language that I just can't figure out.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:49 pm
There's an argument to be made that 死神 should just be transliterated as shinigami since they explicitly say that it's the Disnafrody word for the monster and Disnafrody is the Japan of the world, but in other places, characters who (probably) don't know the Disnafrody language remark on the meaning and connotations of the word.

Basically it's an artifact of a game being written in Japanese but having characters that supposedly don't know 'Japanese.' It's... not a high point of great writing. Anyway, that's why I'm just going with the standard translation of reaper even though I accept that it certainly could stay as shinigami given the setting.

More generally, if it's something that characters distinctly bring up as being foreign/unknown to them and it's from Disnafrody (such as Emelita asking what a shogun is) then I'm going to transliterate instead of translate. When it's just Yuela talking about things from Disnafrody, I'll make whatever decision feels right at the time. *shrug*

I guess also along those lines, I have absolutely no idea why Suina has a Disnafrody/Asian name considering that everything about her birth/creation comes from Yuidora stuff. It makes zero sense.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 am
The three arena furniture statues are all references to another one of Eushully's series, and specifically, characters from .

The God Slayer Statue is based on Celica. In the scene it triggers it references (somewhat of an IM spoiler I guess depending on where you start)

The Warrior Statue is based on Darnos from IM0. He likes breasts. There's not much else to it.

The Goddess Statue is based on IM's Astraea. Furthermore, the scene with it references that

Also, the whole Anastasia/eggplant thing in that event is that the little eggplant imp is like her secondary mascot from the nasu (eggplant) part of her name A-na-su-ta-shi-a).

I guess on the topic of Eushully call-outs, if you have the special edition bonus disk, Yuela's bonus costume is based on Celica from IM0 (and one of her CGs is almost identical to one of ), Emi's costume is based on Lily from Himegari, and Serawi's costume is based on Sylphietta from Slave Princess (the two also share the same VA).

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm
Before anyone asks or gets huffy, a direct translation of Sharty's species would be something like "sleep demon," which is dumb.
Mares (germanic demons that ride on their victims chests in their sleep, draining their spirit and leaving them in a cold sweat, hence "nightmare") are an almost direct parallel in folklore to the greater overall species encompassing lillims, succubi, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)

Bitch at your own peril.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 pm
Okay, in regards to Saerav.

The deal here is that Saerav is the clan/breed/species (not really clear) of flame foxes. However, it's also used to refer to the singular Saerav unit that joins your party. He does have a name and it's used in his introduction, but is never mentioned or brought up again. He is always simply referred to as Saerav, same as his group, including in all gameplay things, like his nameplate and whatnot. Believe it or not, this is even more confusing in Japanese since the singular and plural are the same. And to make matters worse, almost every single time characters talk about "Saerav", they mean the group, not the individual.

To clarify the difference between Saerav the unit and Saerav the group, I am electing to replace all instances referring to the unit, Saerav, to his actual name, Uya, despite the fact that this is only actually used in two lines in the entire game with all other references to him (which sums to about 5) being as if his name was Saerav.

What's more, he has another name too. After that, it replaces his "Saerav" name in text boxes, but he 'speaks' in only two or three scenes after that... aaand there are a number of end-game events Wil goes back to calling him Saerav anyway in the script itself (hot springs event for examply), most likely because the name-events are optional in some routes and can be triggered after that stuff in others. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Eushully just completely forgot they had given him a name in his initial intro.

TL;DR
'Saerav' does double duty referring to a single party member AND the group he belongs to. This is needlessly confusing, so I am changing all references to the individual Saerav to the name he is first introduced to the group as.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 pm
Cleaning up/intentionally obfuscating some lines because you can trigger events out of 'normal' sequence. I think it happens because events have both level and progression triggers and if you grind a little too much, you can make things be out of whack.

The one I'm specifically talking about here it's the scene in ch4 where Emelita asks Wil if he likes Yuela. Later in it, he says that he still hasn't apologized for what happened the other day (changing room mk II scene), but you can trigger this scene before that one, so he's got nothing to apologize for at that point.

Great work, Eushully.

I'll just fix stuff like this as it comes up. I can't see almost any flags or control in scripts though, so report it if you find anything else weird like that.

Edit:
Another one comes up with Sharty after meeting Elizasleyn. She jumps Wil and clearly does things to him off-screen... except that only in Emelita's route could you have even possibly fulfilled the requirements for having sex with her for the first time. So just waffling a few lines on both sides there.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 pm
In the second scene of Serawi/Emelita discovering Yuela/Wil's relationship, Serawi brings up red rice (赤い米飯), which is a sort of reference of sekihan (赤飯). Sekihan is served at special occasions, like weddings, hence the quasi-reference, blushing and whatnot. Think of it like the difference between "wedding cake" and "white cake."

Anyway, point is that red rice is a completely incomprehensible reference in the western world and therefore is just being overwritten.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:33 am
During the volcano giant den quest thing collection stones, Yuela mumbles various foods as a way of staying cool. Cucumbers though, are not generally held to be a 'cold' food to the west. Ergo, outright change.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 am
Fun fact:
In the first battle in the dragon quest string, there are actually THREE different scripts depending on assumably which merchant escapes first. This is common for any map that has multiple triggers. There are different scripts for every possible order to trigger things. For some reason though, one here has one line different than the others (says "the first of the caravan" instead of just "A caravan"). I should leave that in just for giggles, but I changed it so they're all the same.
Silliness!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:54 pm
Surprisingly, the whole angel rank things the game uses do match up with actual Judeo-Christian angel ranks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... _hierarchy

The 'species', or whatever you want to call it, is just made up though. The game/Melo does refer to Eliza as a "Power angel" though, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean (there is a Power rank of angel, but it's below the Virtues, which is what Eliza specificially is). I don't want to confuse it with Melo herself being an archangel though, or the Power rank, so just ignoring it.

That doesn't, however, carry over to the monster names/descriptions, where they get angel and archangel backwards, resulting in archangels being the common ones and angels being the more powerful/rare ones. Let's just fix that.

Also going to switch the names of a couple other monsters for similar reasons. Anything where the 'common' version of the monster has an adjective attatched to it and the rare one is basic is getting swapped (ie: reversing "cave troll" = basic, "troll" = advanced version).

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:52 pm
Rewriting the Crayanne runaway scene to be in the third person instead of a rotating first person. The shift from Wil's first person to Crayl's first person back to Wil's then to Crayanne's is silly, even in Japanese, but moreso in English when you don't have the pronoun shift to signify it.

There's another shift in the same chapter where it's suddenly from Saerav's PoV, but given the content, third person would be hard to make work well so I just used special brackets instead. It also lasts the entire scene instead of just jumping into Crayl's PoV partway and then popping back out towards the end so at least it's not AS jarring.

And just so we're clear on how common this is, at the time of writing, I'm about 48% through the game script, and this is the first time the narrative has changed in the script to first person for anybody but Wil and maybe the seventh or eighth time total the script has been in anything other than Wil's first person.

Edit:
It comes up again in one of the scenes leading up to Melo's class change (at 70% in and only the third time!). Giving it the same treament as Crayanne's.

Edit x2:
Game finished, happend those 3 times only. Great work.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm
The moon references to Yuela are kind of lost due to Japaneseness until very late in her route when they directly discuss it, so I'm going to change her Disnafrody codename to be a literal reading of her actual name. Like Suina, Kohakuren, and Uya (both of his names), her actual name (on the rare times they use it, like in the character dictionary) is written in kanji instead of the katakana used for all the 'western' names. In fact, the kanji for it is only even used twice in the entire game script at only the very end when she's talking to the spy.

If you're curious, her code name is 宵の晦 (Yoi no Tsugomori), which roughly translates to "Twilight of the Month's Last Day." They refer to her after the first scene or two as simply 晦 (Tsugomori). When she uses it to refer to herself, it's “晦”のユエラ (complete with quotes) so Tsugomori is likely meant to be the name of her family/clan, but it never really gets directly addressed or made clear. A lot of the stuff about her past never does for that matter... Anyway, it's not enough that it's important to the plot that I need to go through a bunch of hoops and changes to keep it around.

And just while I'm here, the owl references in chapter titles are just to Wil/alchemists. Owls are the symbol of the Yuidora Guild, although that information's kind of hidden in the dictionary entries.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:27 am
Eushully isn't terribly consistent with Gapt's egg. Sometimes it gets special brackets (almost all references in the script itself), sometimes not (quest and mission descriptions).

Just saying.

My rule is for those who know what it really is and why it's special, they get to capitalize it as a proper noun thingy. Those who don't refer to it as just an egg.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:51 am
I have no idea what BNH means. I only mention it because it's got to be a reference to -something-, but damned if I know what.

None whatsoever. It's the name of one of Mylen's knives in 2.0. Any assistance would be appreciated. Just leaving it for now I guess.

And that damn Railgun reference really is in there.

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 am
It's VERY obvious that they got some intern or something to write up the stuff for the append disks. The scripts for the new 2.0 quests are pretty much just copy and paste whereas the quest descriptions in the info often have random extra info from god only knows where. Furthermore, Wil refers to characters completely differently (calls Tian by his name as a prime example, similarly with how he addresses Hannah). I'm going to fix their addressing cockups.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:27 pm
Adding a little bit of stuff to the Para legend things for a few reasons.
First, his story is very clearly based off of the afanc, but that doesn't really ever come up or get addressed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afanc
Second, they only refer to him in the game scripts as a 幻獣 (mystical creature, same thing they call the flame foxes and other mystic critters in general), HOWEVER, all the init files (string lists and variables) refer to him instead as a 鯨幻獣 (whale mystic etc), which is never once used in the game scripts themselves. So people were clearly not communicating somewhere.
Third, it's really silly and awkward for them to just call it "the creature" for something like 3 or 4 straight chapters.

Long story short, I added about half a line to the legend part of his quest and a little here and there just to identify it as the afanc when they learn the history and get them away from calling him "creature."

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:06 am
The intro to the "Catch Gantz" dungeon is slightly different depending on which merchant you pick, but it's fairly meaningless (as in one has a comma where the other doesn't). There's some remnants of the script that indicate that there were originally four versions of the merchants/dungeon, but only the top two were kept. It's probably just an artifact of that. Anyway, it's not a mistake that what they say is slightly different, even if there's not really any good reason for it.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:46 pm
I guess I should note this.

A number of mandatory scenes have slightly different lines depending on whether or not you've already finished the quests. Basically certain character events are sidequests in one route, but mandatory in others. You can finish them BEFORE they become required though. It comes up relatively often, but this stuff isn't always marked in the scripts so... if something feels off with one of those parts, it's probably because I screwed up and didn't realize there was a break there or got the exact spot wrong.

If anything like that happens where you've already fulfilled a required mission for a chapter, it just won't get displayed in the mission dict at all. The mandatory characters/sidequests by route are:

Yuela:
Melodiana/Elizasleyn
Uya/Kohakuren

Emi:
Sharty
Aht

Serawi:
Suina
Crayl/Crayanne
Uya/Kohakuren
Gaptahl

Note that recruiting Aht or Sharty is required to initiate Yuela's route (pre-req for her changing scene) and Aht for Serawi, but their sidequests are not mandatory to progress. Paraskevas and Ragsmuena are completely optional sidequests on all routes.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm
I'm going to go ahead and rewrite the two route split choices a little bit to make that you're actually deciding on a route a lot more obvious. "Should I watch Yuela practice or ignore her and sleep?" doesn't really... you know... scream "I LOVE YUELA" and it feels a little dishonest to basically trick people into getting locked into routes for such a seemingly minor thing. Same with Serawi's. "Clean up pollution or ignore it?" shouldn't be the trigger for "I WANT TO DEVOTE MY LIFE TO BEING A TREE HUGGER." Emi's is the default if you don't lock into the other two, so *shrug*

There's only a couple lines to work with in both cases anyway.

And yes, there are unseen other requirements which could potentially make this a little confusing, but I think it's far better to err on the side of assuming people will actually try to do sidequests instead of not. IE, nine times out of ten, they'll trigger all the other flags anyway.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:05 pm
Just reiterating here because I feel like it. It is EXTREMELY obvious by writing style and word choice that Append 2.0 was not written by the same person as vanilla/the other two appends. I'm doing my best to 'fix' it so that it matches the original better, but... *shrug* There's not a great deal of content anyway, but going through the two sex scenes and Wil has apparently learned quite a few new words, particularly when it comes to genitalia.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:50 am
During the hot spring sidestory stuff, there's a conversation about Uya where they discuss his species. Aht calls him (colloquially) a dog, they correct her to a magical fox, so she calls him an oinari-san, inari being foxes associated with a god, but oinarisan being a kind of food, which Suina points out, so Melodiana remarks that she's knowledgable for knowing 'Eastern' words like that.

So... ugh. There's really no good way to handle this.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 pm
Another Eushully error I'm 'fixing.'

The crimson sealing hammer thingy for one of the late-game quests is called 深紅 everywhere but the item itself, which is called 真紅. They both mean crimson so it's not really a change in English per se, but it was just frustrating my search attempts to make sure the names were consistent and I never like to miss a chance for making fun of Eushully's sloppy editing in this game.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:01 am
In one of the Di-Phandao events, he talks about 毒饅頭 (poison manjuu). Colloquially, it means something that you know is wrong/bad but on the outside appears good (in this case, he's referring to the war and implying how it seems just, but knows that it's going to make things worse). It comes from some political thingy. However, they mostly use it in the conversation in the literal sense, going right into the soldier asking him if he's hungry. It translates fairly poorly, so I'm rewriting it a little bit to be a bit less metaphorical since he extends the metaphor about eating poison for quite a few events after that as well.

I guess while I'm at it, DP also calls Cledo a badger (ie, nuisance), which Cledo doesn't understand, then switches it to tanuki, implying that Cledo's putting on a front. Being called a tanuki makes Cledo remember that a tanuki is a kind of badger and a trickster one at that.
So if you weren't following that, Cledo doesn't know badger, but does know tanuki, which reminds him of folklore about badgers. I'm going to shuffle a few things around in there to make it work better for western stuff.
And chapter title for that also changed just because tanuki is a ridiculous word.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:50 pm
When Yuela begins eating paper, I appreciate how she explicitly says that there's no river nearby despite there being one in the graphic. I guess I'll just leave that though. Just noting that yes, I am aware that the words and the visuals do not match.

Again, great work, Eushully.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next