View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Important!!! (for those who want GAII translation asap) 
Demon

Post Re: Important!!! (for those who want GAII translation asap)
I see where you are going with this, but is there an actual team/person willing to translate GAII and knows Japanese?

It honestly seems like GAII's translation is far from starting.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am
HERO

That's about the only thing that's missing(and most important too I guess), a japanese/english speaker who's motivated enough to translate the GAII games.

Wish there was a "Tact Fan" pic too.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm
Demon

Well that is a problem indeed, by the way, well this text-only translation be an ACTUAL translation of the games or it is it like a loose translated guide to it?
I've seen a guide made for this one Japanese PSP game where everyone was using emulators and such, and everyone on the forum gave up trying to play it because the guide was too unorganized.
Not sure if the guide is the same as an actual translation, mostly because I couldn't find it anywhere and the person who made the guide wasn't even on the forum.
What I'm getting at is that won't this text-only translation be unorganized, and make it hard to play and read from two sources?

As for a translator, I guess we could get a group of people to help translate instead of harassing one single translator.
Also, question, couldn't we get a very loose translation of the game first, using example Google translate, (*prepares flame shields*) and have others edit/proofread the crappy translation? Once, in an english-subbed anime, the fansubbers couldn't understand what the phrase meant and even asked anons on their site, I always thought you could just copy-paste the phrase into Google translate, get a general idea what it meant and write a 'translation' off that idea. (*hiding behind barrier of flame shields*)
The loose translation could get attention of a Japanese-English translator to translate, or help edit.
Then again, this plan probably has a lot of loopholes... -.-'

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm
Faux Moderator

Quote:
As for a translator, I guess we could get a group of people to help translate instead of harassing one single translator.

Having more than one translator for a project is discouraged for consistency reasons. There have been quite lot of cases where the translators would argue about whose translation is better / whose translation should be applied in what part, etc.

Quote:
Also, question, couldn't we get a very loose translation of the game first, using example Google translate, (*prepares flame shields*) and have others edit/proofread the crappy translation? Once, in an english-subbed anime, the fansubbers couldn't understand what the phrase meant and even asked anons on their site, I always thought you could just copy-paste the phrase into Google translate, get a general idea what it meant and write a 'translation' off that idea. (*hiding behind barrier of flame shields*)The loose translation could get attention of a Japanese-English translator to translate, or help edit.'

One fatal flaw in your suggestion is that Japanese is different from most languages; it's too abstract and relies heavily on context.

Sure, you can just paste the text (If you've managed to extract the script from the game) into any kind of machine translation, but all you will got next is a bunch of words with no clear subject, direction, or topic at all. Even the simplest, most common forms of Japanese phrases could imply a completely different meaning, if connected to previously stated context.

Seiha's #3 post and rep (Wait, does that exist?) whore.
-----
Pepper.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:01 am
Profile WWW
The Forums Eternal Troll

DON'T WANT TO SEEM JOKERISH OR ANYTHING, BUT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN AND HEARD FROM PEOPLE WHO TRIED TO TRANSLATE FOR PERSONAL REASONS (FRIENDS AND SUCH) MOST OF THEM ENDED UP IN A STATE OF PERPETUAL

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:47 pm
Demon

Rico S wrote:
Having more than one translator for a project is discouraged for consistency reasons. There have been quite lot of cases where the translators would argue about whose translation is better / whose translation should be applied in what part, etc.

Honestly... Why are people so difficult... If we ahd a leader/editer or such who organised everything it should be fine, but then people will start to question, and not follow orders, and eventually the poor editer will suffer from the BS people are giving him/her.

Lester Killderros wrote:
DON'T WANT TO SEEM JOKERISH OR ANYTHING, BUT FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN AND HEARD FROM PEOPLE WHO TRIED TO TRANSLATE FOR PERSONAL REASONS (FRIENDS AND SUCH) MOST OF THEM ENDED UP IN A STATE OF PERPETUAL

That is indeed true. But, because of personal reasons, isn't that why people begin translating?

Anyway... If BROCOLLI (AniBro) decide to release GAII trilogy to PC format, is there more of a chance that someone will be willing to translate the series? From the looks how there are so little translators for manga, anime, and other games already, I have a feeling that no one is ever going to translate GAII, how wonderful.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 am
HERO

Vanorianagato wrote:
Well that is a problem indeed, by the way, well this text-only translation be an ACTUAL translation of the games or it is it like a loose translated guide to it?
I've seen a guide made for this one Japanese PSP game where everyone was using emulators and such, and everyone on the forum gave up trying to play it because the guide was too unorganized.
Not sure if the guide is the same as an actual translation, mostly because I couldn't find it anywhere and the person who made the guide wasn't even on the forum.
What I'm getting at is that won't this text-only translation be unorganized, and make it hard to play and read from two sources?

No, it's meant to be something that any english speaker can use to understand whatever piece of text he comes across in the game, a group of files that contain dialogue, something like....

File 1 contains(intro dialogue

character 1:Blah blah blah

character 2: blah blah blah)

Choice, if you choose this, go to 2.1, if you choose that, go to 2.2)

File 2.1(character 5: blah blah blah, now go to File 3)

File 2.2(character 1: blah blah blah, now go to File 3)

File 3(Character 7: at any rate, blah blah blah)

tl;dr, it's supposed to be a direct translation written into a bunch of files that english speakers could understand.

Vanorianagato wrote:
Also, question, couldn't we get a very loose translation of the game first, using example Google translate, (*prepares flame shields*) and have others edit/proofread the crappy translation? Once, in an english-subbed anime, the fansubbers couldn't understand what the phrase meant and even asked anons on their site, I always thought you could just copy-paste the phrase into Google translate, get a general idea what it meant and write a 'translation' off that idea. (*hiding behind barrier of flame shields*)
The loose translation could get attention of a Japanese-English translator to translate, or help edit.
Then again, this plan probably has a lot of loopholes... -.-'

I tried this exact idea (having little to no knowledge of the Japanese language), it's biggest flaw is the Japanese text in the ps2 game, you see, it would be wonderful if I was able to extract the text directly from the game, but after opening the iso and doing things and stuff, I was still unable to find out where the text itself is, thus I was unable to find a quick way to copy/paste the text to a translating machine.

Now I was able to find out a way to get the text, however it's not quick, it's rather slow and extremely painful, while playing the games in an emulator I'd get the text using "text from picture" software, however the process is rather slow and somewhat tedious that I think it'd be much faster and simpler if a japanese/english speaker simply looked at the phrase,translated it to english in his head, and just wrote the translation, much simpler than what us non-japanese speakers would have to do to translate a ps2 japanese game.(extract text, put text in translation machine, proofread it, repeat for next dialogue)

Vanorianagato wrote:
Anyway... If BROCOLLI (AniBro) decide to release GAII trilogy to PC format, is there more of a chance that someone will be willing to translate the series? From the looks how there are so little translators for manga, anime, and other games already, I have a feeling that no one is ever going to translate GAII, how wonderful.

Heavily wrong there, if we were able to extract the text from the game AND able to put the text into the game much more easily(because pc games are easier to edit than ps2 games), GAII triology would be much more likely translated, and maybe by Aroduc, no less.

Wish there was a "Tact Fan" pic too.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am
Demon

HERO_1000 wrote:
tl;dr, it's supposed to be a direct translation written into a bunch of files that english speakers could understand.

Okay, I was just wondering if it was a direct translation or not. It would be much better than a guide, (seen from the example I gave) and I was just seeing if we were on the same page on this subject.

HERO_1000 wrote:
Heavily wrong there, if we were able to extract the text from the game AND able to put the text into the game much more easily(because pc games are easier to edit than ps2 games), GAII triology would be much more likely translated, and maybe by Aroduc, no less.

Correct, it would be much easier and likely that the series will be translated, but what I'm getting at is that there is already a lack of translators for several areas (games, manga, anime, etc...).
And considering the GA series' recognition (which I honestly think is too low), chances of finding a translator is slim (besides Aroduc), as also BROCCOLLI releasing PC versions of GAII.

And a question to my above comment, how large is Galaxy Angel's fanbase anyhow? Considering the several GA fan-content I've seen, (and sights of Normad added in other fanart) it looks like GA had a large fanbase, but died over the years and/or it was only somewhat popular in Japan.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm
Faux Moderator

Vanorianagato wrote:
And a question to my above comment, how large is Galaxy Angel's fanbase anyhow? Considering the several GA fan-content I've seen, (and sights of Normad added in other fanart) it looks like GA had a large fanbase, but died over the years and/or it was only somewhat popular in Japan.

Speaking in my perspective, in terms of reputation Galaxy Angel actually managed to reach international scale, thanks to the anime series. But when the anime stops airing, the fanbase started dying when the latest VN of GAII was released. Most of the fanbase went stagnant due to the lack of new content until Aroduc came up with the VN translations.

I'd say that GA was quite popular in its times, but it is dependent on anime, not the VN itself. It seemed Bandai actually tried resurrect the fanbase by re-releasing GA anime in Blu-Ray but there hasn't been any noticeable reactions to it.

P.S. I'll just leave this link here.

Seiha's #3 post and rep (Wait, does that exist?) whore.
-----
Pepper.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Demon

Rico S wrote:
I'd say that GA was quite popular in its times, but it is dependent on anime, not the VN itself. It seemed Bandai actually tried resurrect the fanbase by re-releasing GA anime in Blu-Ray but there hasn't been any noticeable reactions to it.

I have a similar opinion, looking at the fan base, it seems its popularity was only driven by the anime.
I'm not sure if I should be glad, that GA was once popular, or disappointed that the fandom shrank because the anime series was over.
And, yes, the Blu-Ray versions that were released seemed to have no reaction (I saw those a few months ago).

What I'm really concerned about is how much recognition the VN trilogy of GA is getting.
After Arudoc translated the trilogy, there's been a few play-through videos on Youtube (garules7 for example and his total views for his videos exceed 130 thousand, not sure if that's a large or small number orz).
So what's the chance of GAII trilogy being released on PC if the fandom rises again? (low chance of that happening too...)
Since the series is over 12 years old, I would think it's revival would be hard.

Rico S wrote:
P.S. I'll just leave this link here.

I've seen that website months ago... I don't think the person in charge of the website is available...? I don't know, I guess I'll try to email him. :|

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am
The Forums Eternal Troll

ii hate to be a bother but my mean2 of checking out a partiicular text grabber made for emulator2 (my memory ha2 failed a2 well 2o 2omeone wiill have to try and fiind iit wiithout my help) ha2 been removed, the damn block ii2 back 2o ii can't check iif progre22 ha2 been made or iif iit diied agaiin

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4