[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Bunny Black 2 TL Notes
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bunny Black 2 TL Notes 
Post Bunny Black 2 TL Notes
There's a lot of sort of shared terminology between demon terms and angel terms, but the word "angel" actually barely appears in the game at all. Where they refer to the demons as "mazoku" (literally demon-race), angels are "kamizoku" (literally god-race). This extends to a bunch of other things too, maryoku for example (translated as mana in BB1, literally "demon-power"), but the angel version is "kamiryoku" (literally god-power). That only comes up in one very late game scene and a bonus scene and really isn't worth dicking around with.

This complicates itself a little bit because early on, they distinguish between "angel types" and other things from Celestia (monsters and such). The word angel is almost never actually used, they're basically always called kamizoku. I'm playing a little fast and loose and a lot of times when they say "Celestials", it'll be translated as angels.

I should also note that there IS a little actual terminology drift here. In Bunny Black 1, the greater demons (Forze, Meryl, Ekate) were referred to as akuma(zoku), and the pacts specifically used akuma for that (pacts aren't a thing at all in BB2). Here, akuma is literally never once used in that sense. All of them are always referred to as mazoku. The only time the word ever comes up are in a couple generic monster descriptions (fat devils and loams), Dah calling Darx a devil (among other insults, so again, not literal), and a maid explaining that there's no actual difference between Celestia and the Netherworld, just people call mazoku devils, and kamizoku angels.

As far as gameplay stuff goes, I'm going to translate 'race/class' with the major characters pretty fast and loose. As in really not translate it. C'est la vie!

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:28 am
Post Re: Translation Notes
I'm really sad that I can't translate this pun. The middle rank of human priests are yami no otoko/yami no otona (plus priest). Literally, "man/woman of the dark" (priest), but in actual usage, that means street whore.

So the middle class of priests is "street whore priest". Alas.

I should mention this too. BB1 didn't differentiate at all between the different 'ranks' of classes for humans, so I made stuff up to differentiate them. BB2 DOES differentiate, but in ways that I can't translate well due to space limitations. For example, the three ranks of fighters are Fighter, Brave Fighter, and Heroic Fighter. The three ranks of mages are Wizard, Greedy Wizard, Avaricious Wizard. Oh, and add a "female/woman" in there for all the girl versions of those classes (also something BB1 didn't do). I'm just going to stick to what I used for BB1 for consistency's sake for as much gameplay stuff as I can (passive skills, active skills, items, etc). The descriptions were completely rewritten though, so I'll do the same. All the new stuff will be pretty off the cuff, the same as with BB1.

Edit: Actually, some changes to the engine means that unlike BB1, a bunch of innate/passive skills break if they have a space, so... they have to be changed.

However, only humans and a small handful of monsters have different 'classes' now. Almost everything has been flattened into single classes/types.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:11 pm
BB2's skill format is much more human readable, mostly because a skill can't be at multiple different levels. Mainly, it's very easy to see what the exact changes in things like critical rate or bad status infliction are.

Same for items. All 131 equippable items have the description of what their effect is plus "An Equippable Item". Collectables say "Collectable.|A collectable to be sold." Etc etc.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:26 pm
Ponkotsu literally means "piece of junk." Darx even remarks that it's a weird name.

He also has a regional accent. A blue collar drawl is probably the closest English equivalent. I tried but honestly, I don't think accents in general are one of my strengths.

On the topic of accents, Ultinia also sort of has one but not really. They address it directly in a few scenes and she says that it comes out when she gets excited, both of the sexual and the bloodlusty varieties. It mostly exists in the scene where she explains it though. She also talks with a ridiculously thick accent in one of the bonus scenes, explicitly mentioned there.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:00 am
Awesome typo in the name tags.

ウェイトレスメイト

Fixing it.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:00 pm
In describing the setup of Forzelotte's Shrine, Darx specifically uses the term for circuity. It's anachronic, but it's neither the first, nor the last time that kind of thing has been used. It's not an error.

Of course, the world of BB is occasionally weirdly anachronic anyway, like there's an idol concert, complete with electric guitars and microphones in BB3, which takes place only ~5 years later.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:56 pm
The demon girls in the orgy in the prologue are all named minor characters from BB1. They're unnamed here (although Maki, the oni, is a bonus character for having BB1 installed/being on NG+), so I'm leaving that as is. I wouldn't mind it if an editor went through, paying attention to the voicing (although it's not hard to tell who "Chesty Demon" is supposed to be) and applying the correct name tags. That said, I have no idea if they even have the same VAs. *shrug*

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 pm
While a bunch of Overseers are namedropped and die or are injured off screen and aren't of much note, if you're wondering who the demon woman with the big fox ears is that appears in a random CG or two (in the epilogue), that's Logius. She has no lines in BB2, but has a handful in BB3. She especially unusual because she's a female in Japanese media that wears pants.

And doesn't have any sex scenes.

Probably because of the pants.

But also because she and her two subordinates, Aly and Flan, had a webcomic series based on them.
http://shchara.co.jp/07event/comic2/ind ... backnumber

Aly and Flan will join you partway through the game as unique characters (and appear in CGs with Logius too). You might need to be on NG+. I should probably find that out.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:04 pm
Of the three generic chords, two are palette swaps of Flat, one is a palette swap of Sharp.

However, all three of them use Sharp's voice samples. I'd fix that, but I don't even know where to start.

It's also not an error that the recruitable generic versions of all the unique NPCs use the NPC's color scheme and have their voices. I think something was changed partway through development because some of the NPCs you can hire a generic type that has the same color as them, and others, you actually get a unique based on them (and can hire no generics). It's inconsistent and weird.

Also, the only generic angel you can hire is the staff version, for whatever inexplicable reason.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:05 pm
Angel bloodlines

While explaining what angels value, the word Darx uses is 血統, which means bloodline or pedigree. However, what he goes on to describe is really more like chastity. The things he uses to explain it are that they never have casual (well, 'indecent') sex, mate for life, and even married couples only ever have sex for procreation... none of which really has anything to do with bloodlines.

Izana does explain it a little more (much later), that it's apparently a massive, horrible cultural taboo if you don't know who the father of your child is, but... eh.

Anyway, I'm translating it to match what he describes instead of the word, so chastity it is. Which is NOT the same thing as abstinence and works better with the whole angel thing anyway.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:22 pm
In case you were wondering what the B stands for in Bunny Black's currency, it stands for Bread. As in the English word, 'bread.'
ブレッド. There are one Bread coins. Darx gives Jon one. From a quick Googling, it comes from Ouzoku where 1 B was the cost of one piece of bread.

I haven't yet decided whether or not I'm going to paper over that they apparently live in a world based on the bread standard, but hey, now you know.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:58 pm
Pani, Izana, and Ultinia's title in Japanese is The Three Lords (三領主). Lord, in this case, specifically means a feudal-type lord, as in owns and rules over a land in place of someone else. It comes out very early that Oldeus is the true ruler and they command the place in his stead. As such, I don't consider sticking to Lords/Ladies to be all that important and there aren't good equivalent feudal terms really, so I'm just going to go for character instead.

The name of the castle is a little complicated. In modern usage, 天蓋 pretty much means canopy, specifically for noble/royal/saintly type canopy beds (see: ). In old school astrology though, it means heaven. You can also use it to refer to some random priestly hat stuff too. It literally breaks down to "heaven/sky covering." Anyway, I'm naming the castle Baldaquin, which is basically what it means, but I assume most people will have to actually look that up or assume that it's a completely made up proper name instead of baldaquins being actual things.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 am
There are a few different versions of the initial door installation scene with Garkin. I'm not 100% certain what the condition is that causes the difference, but I suspect that it mostly has to do with whether you have White Filliane or not. It might also be automatically fired if you reach a certain floor without having ever triggered it because Garkin needs to be introduced before a number of other events. A lot of the lines are copy/pasted between them. Just note that while editing.

The script all the door stuff is in is ev3000

Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:16 pm
Astonishingly, there's something that doesn't translate at all in one of the prison rape things that I'm going to rewrite.

Basically, Darx asks Filliane "before or after." Filliane takes that to mean "front (hole) or back" because it's the same words. Darx explains that he means performing oral sex on them either before or after he has sex with them. It just doesn't translate at all, so I'm outright changing it.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:09 pm
Do to Forzelotte as you do to captives

Softhouse Chara typo/screwing up of idiom due to homophones. It's hard to explain. Basically when you raise a 'ne' (sound/voice), that means giving up. When you lower 'ne' (roots), that means to put down roots (metaphorically as well).

They used the root kanji, saying "raise roots," instead of the sound kanji, which makes no sense. I don't think it's a typo since they misused it multiple times. I think someone just genuinely had it wrong. From a quick Google to verify that, it seems to be a common mistake.

Anyway, translating as what was obviously intended, not what was written.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:51 am
I'm just going to mention this because it comes up quite a bit in Filliane's rest scenes, and here and there with Junkheap.

It's just that "pretending to be a traitor" is awkward and potentially confusing due to difference in Japanese and English, so I'm generally coming at it from the other angle to say the same thing more naturally.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:32 pm
I understand honorifics, I just don't care.

This is nothing new, just a note that I'm rewriting half a conversation centering around them.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 am
There are about a half dozen mini-scenes in in1310 and I'm honestly not sure of the context, and they're gameplay related, so... ugh. They're referencing some kind of 'problem'/gimmick (varies between scene), and seems to have identical versions for Marialis and Filliane, so it could be for something early (the sprite stuff?), but I really don't know. Something to be aware of.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:29 pm
There are abilities listed in the exe that no units actually have:
集中回復
耐性無効化
雷属性耐性
風属性耐性
土属性耐性
水属性耐性
火属性耐性
闇属性耐性
射撃属性耐性
打撃属性耐性
斬撃属性耐性
速度強化
回避強化
防御強化
攻撃強化

A fair number are generic resistances or boosts (as opposed to Resist Slashing - Front Row), but a couple aren't. They might be used as 'invisible' skills for items, but that's just a wild guess.

Weird.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
It turns out that it puts together skills completely differently from BB1, and matches on type (eg Attack Up) and then AoE for the skill (eg Column), and the ability is the combination of those two things. That's why the ability names MUST be completely standardized this time around. They were pretty much already, but eh. Point is, (eg) that ALL abilities raising attack MUST have the same prefix. All abilities that affect a column MUST have the same suffix. Before, it was just personal convention. Now, it's required or the ability doesn't function.

HOWEVER, it turns out that a lot of those aren't actually used, so they still count as unused. Also, I'm not sure really how to check/test a number of them because they're enemy only. The Whole-Party ("Leader") ones, for example.

====

There are also three different level up messages, and I don't fully understand what the differences are. Two are identical ("X has leveled up to Y") but with Y highlighted in one and not in the other. The other just says "X has leveled up" and seems to be the one typically used in game.

There's also a weird message for "Nothing obtained"

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:36 pm
Almost all units that get multiple attacks per turn are unmarked.

Since there aren't many, I may as well list them.:

HOWEVER, a ton of units have resistances alongside ailment/death/#attacks. It looks like there are multiple ways to define resistances, and while they're mostly done elsewhere, sometimes they're done in the unit.obj file. The exception seems to be for Slash/Strike/Ranged attacks, which are ALL defined in the unit.obj file as near as I can tell. However, some units (eg White Darx) have their elemental resistances specified there instead of... wherever else.

Furthermore, some units have resistances listed that don't appear. Darx, Kozelotte, Shia, and Marialias, for example, all have an innate 15% resistance to Death attacks, however, it looks like the display only appears at 30(30+?) (open circle) and 100 (double circle).

Weirdly, a small fraction of units that have ailment/death resistance have that explicitly noted in their descriptions, as well as automatically displayed as normal. I'll just remove them, although I'm strongly considering adding a note for the units that have multiple attacks a turn specifying that.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 am
Not that this is anything new, but the investment stuff is going to be by and large completely made up because there are 49 levels of it and it starts repeating itself at 10, and the last 15 are Dungeon Rebuilding Part1-5, and then Complete Rebuilding Part 1-10.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:18 pm
I've noticed while checking things that event triggers can get a little screwed up if you progress too far too fast. Nothing that can't be fixed, but things like minibosses you have to beat spawning on floors you've already passed, or not being given the key to the next area until a certain number of home events are seen, so if you clear a boss without seeing them, you'll just have to enter/exit dungeons (and possibly rest and/or go to the prison/Rakia's) until they catch up and get back on the same track.

I imagine it's not a huge issue on regular games, but it can make things a little wonky on NG+

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:48 pm
The skill description notes it, but the Flail skill is the only one in the game that has a #Attacks modifier at an astounding +5.

Good thing it's not learnable.

Also, the Song of Confusion and Song of Storms descriptions are... weirdly malformed and I'm not sure what's going on with them.

Also, the bonus to critical rate (?) is marked as "Sometimes POWER UP!" for the bird-based slashing skills, but a few other skills have the same effect. Mostly Oldeus and the super gates.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:34 am
Uh, for the purpose of items, what the things that say +xx% to whatever, that reflects directly on the elemental affinities of party members.

IE, if you have swords equipped that give +50% to Slash, all members of your party will show that they have a bonus to Slash.

And as far as the game's concerned, Slash, Strike, and Ranged are physical attacks. ALL others are magical attacks. So equipping a couple staffs gives you strength in every element, and equipping a couple hats lets you resist every single element. That seems... ridiculously incorrectly implemented, but I confirmed the behavior on a vanilla file, so... okay then.

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:19 pm
Darx says that if they call things from the Netherworld mamono (demons, lit. demon things), then should things from Celestia be called tenmono (lit. heaven things). I've been playing pretty fast and loose with mamono's translation to begin with, but this is just an artifact of Japanese word construction that doesn't translate in any decent way, so I'm changing it to some other dumb not-'joke.'

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next