[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Seiha Translations - View topic - Any games similar to this?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Any games similar to this? 
Post Any games similar to this?
Hey guys (first post here, i've lurked for a couple weeks now, finally decided to come out and make an account!)

First I just want to say that I stumbled upon this game completely by surprise (from a forum post on steam that suggested this game) and I have to say, after beating my first playthrough with Yuela, I LOVE IT!

Second, I want to say that for this being a Japanese game, the translations are absolutely incredible; and the fact it's ongoing with fixing typos and the like....well done you guys, really. :)

With that being said, I believe this game has caused me to love a new genre to me (sort of.) The only other game I can think of that is like this that i've played is Fire Emblem...and I absolutely loved that game. Moreso, this game has a tremendous amount of plot, which I love. The H-scenes are really more of an icing on the cake for me (Similiar to the sex scenes in Mass Effect).

So, my question fellows, is...are there any other games reminiscent of Kamidori? I really like the combat/plot/H part of the game -- so basically everything. Does anyone have any suggestions of games they could point me towards that are like this? This is definitely a jewel in gaming for me. :D

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 pm
Post Re: Any games similar to this?
> Tremendous amount of plot.

Lol, no, seriously. The plot here is far too generic, especially when you see Wil trying to solve everything peacefully and conveniently. In my case, I play this game for the gameplay, which is awesome, and I suppose most others do the same.

Meh~ You should try Utawarerumono. It doesn't have grindings and such, but imo, it's a pretty good RPG to play with a good plot. Or you could try Sengoku Rance, or Daibanchou - Big Ban Age.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm
I will tell you what games I enjoy, which may or may not be very similar.

-Eien no Aselia: completely different combat system (not grid), cannot grind (no redoing maps), substantial story

-Riviera (GBA): not grid-based, stat gain from items, more story than Fire Emblem/less than RPG VNs, you gain love points and win a girl at the end like a VN (no locking on a route), no H-scenes

-Utawarerumono: grid-based, cannot grind (no redoing maps), much more story than EnA/Kamidori, only comes with difficulties: too hard, very hard, extremely hard, godmode hard

-Fire Emblem (GC/Wii): grid-based, cannot grind (no redoing maps), only Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn have an engaging plot that I like (not generic like princess saves the world).

I did not enjoy Sengoku Rance. Events are too random each day to "strategically" plan your moves. Others may enjoy it if all you're looking for is a lax gameplay and lots of material to fap to.

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm
Hey Kholdstare88! Thanks a bunch for your feedback, i'll have to look into them :). I've played Fire Emblem, (both the Gameboy and Gamecube ones) And I absolutely love that type of combat!

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm
I'm the only one to find Uta predictable as all hell?

I'll agree Kamidori's story is nothing groundbreaking but the sheer volume of plot imo makes it a more involving/longer game than most. Mind, that promptly turns into a real pain on NG+

Castle Fantasia 2 Renewal - heard good things about this one, haven't really done anything with it as of yet though. Can be rather hard to find.

... Kinda drawing a blank on anything else that's Srpg, is H related, and hasn't been mentioned though...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:20 am
Castle fantasia 2 is indeed a good choice. I loved it.
CF2 and Utawarerumono are both great choices, and are still similar but with better story thand Kamidori.
CF2 ( http://vndb.org/v106 ) has branching story (and gameplay) but with a weaker story than Utawarerumono ( http://vndb.org/v3 ); however Uta has a GREAT story (with gameplay) but has no branching plot.

If you are looking for good VNs with gameplay and not necessarily similar to Kamidori, then Sengoku Rance (http://vndb.org/v487 ) and Daibanchou (http://vndb.org/v299 ) are also great VNs with gameplay (both translated of course). Basically you are one dude that wants to conquer japan (in both games, they are similar) and you'll do so by raising troups, conquering each region one by one, building stuff on those regions, and taking/capturing all the girls to fight and do other stuff for yourself. There are different clans having control of different set of regions, sometimes allied to each other (attacking one, makes other attacking you). Usually with pretty girls (ripe for capture) in the lead or in the army. Those games have tons of content and characters.

Ein No aselia also has gameplay, but I didn't play it. There you get teleported in some unknow world and you've got to help 12 years looking girls (the most powerful warrior of the place) fight against stuff. But yeah... I'm not too into games when they throw me loli girls as powerful veteran fighters.

Koihime musou also has gameplay ( http://vndb.org/v369 ). The gameplay has no real impact o the game and you don't have direct control during battles either... but well, it's there.
Anyway, CF2, Utawa, Rance, and Daibanchou are great games.

I am also following tons of VNs with gameplay being translated (I'm really only interested in those VNs, sRPG, RPG, strategy). Here are those at the top of my list if you fancy the wait...
- Yumina the ethereal being the closest to release : http://vndb.org/v1155
- Rance quest is on the way ( http://vndb.org/v6985 )
- Ayakashibito ( http://vndb.org/v646 ) looks nice too (far from release, and it seems to have come to a stop),
- Daiteikoku ( http://vndb.org/v3066 or a link for the wiki : http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Daiteikoku )already has a 35% patch out, it's basicaly a Sengoku rance in space
- Seinarukana ( http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Seinarukana) is on the wayy too, the follow up to Ein No aselia

Last edited by parame on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 am
I also want to add my opinion on CF2. Its story is a bit lacking, but there's a lot of maps (around 42+) so if you're looking for gameplay, you got it. I personally enjoyed it. However, it has really bad reviews, so just a warning that the game is polarized -- don't be surprised if you hate it.

To expand on Eien no Aselia, the gameplay is quite hard, and the story gives no hint on the primary way to enter a girl's route (you have to be in the same "party" as that girl). So which route you choose can be difficult depending on that girl's combat abilities. The story is a bit dragging in the beginning, since there's a lot of reading, half of them in a language you don't know. But certain routes are praised for its very nice storyline later on, so if you're into hard combat and story that takes a while to catch on, then you might like it.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 am

With so many mentions of Utawarerumono, I'm a bit surprised there wasn't any mention of Tears to Tiara. As it's from the same developers, it's very similar. And as with the former, there isn't so much grinding and the story is top-notch. Having played it a few years back, I highly recommend it.

Do note that the translated pc version of Tears to Tiara that is out there differs somewhat from the PS3 version, which was used as the basis for the anime series...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 am

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:49 am
Also, if you want all plot no gameplay, but still feel like you are playing a T/RPG VN, you might want to try FSN - in some places there are outright pointers to d&d-like concepts, like AC being mentioned in the description for Gil's world-destroying-sword and saving throws in Gae Bolg. Plus the other two routes are actually awesome, once you go through the slightly tedious Seiba route.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:23 pm
Mentioning FSN reminded me of something so obvious that I can't believe I forgot.

If you want something VERY SIMILAR to NES/GBA the Fire Emblem series, ie lots of maps and just a few hints of plot inbetween maps, then try Battle Moon Wars. Yes it's translated.

The problem (which may not be a problem) is that the full version is double the length of a Fire Emblem game, so it may seem repetitive. I think there's about 45 maps total. Also, each map is huge; you'll be controlling 20 characters against 75+ enemies at some point. You can't replay maps and you'll get lots of characters, so of course one of the challenge is picking how many characters you want to level up. Try it out.

Note: Story and main characters are original, although knowing the background stories to Tsukihime/Fate stay night/Kara no Kyoukai will lead to enjoying the game more. Oh the excitement of controlling Saber or Kohaku in a grid-based SRPG game. Even knowing the characters will be enough eye-candy for you.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:24 pm
But, you should take into account that BMW is not canon xD

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:45 pm
Oh wow, thank you for all the awesome suggestions, guys! I'm going to have to start looking into all of these, :D . If I may ask, what are some of these abbreviations being used, such as FSN? The game with AC (Armor class I presume) sounds really interesting -- I played Baldurs Gate I & II for the PC heavily modded--they went off D&D rules and I loved it!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:49 pm
Himegari Dungeon meister is from the same develloping team (eushully) but there's no english patch (maybe someone will do it one day...)

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:53 pm
F/SN or FSN = Fate/Stay Night, by Type-Moon. If you know Tsukihime, you should have an idea xD

The AC is not important here. It was just mentioned in one of the characters', Servants' specifically speaking, weapon (Noble Phantasm) description. It doesn't have any major role. Check in YouTube for a general idea. It may disappoint you if it wasn't something you were expecting.

But the visual novel is good, you could give it a try.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:11 pm
Ahh I see -- thank you for clearing that up!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 pm
Guh! Seeing BMW mentioned, I remembered something else: the Super Robot Wars games. SRPGs with loads of plot. Works well if you like mecha - they are basically one world with 10-20 series thrown into and meshing together.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 am

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:45 pm
There generally's no order. I'd suggest trying the GBA ones first. SRWJ is translated by the folks in the Romhacking Aerie and the OG games are in english already. Other than that, most are untranslated sadly.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]